Tuesday 21 March 2017

Double Page Spread Article

April has become well known this year exploding into the charts with her new album 'Fallen Moonlight'. We were lucky enough to have a chat wit her after her gig at the O2 academy Islington... 

Hi April, great meeting you. What first inspired you to make music?
Well I’d regularly go to open mic nights with a few of my friends and after a long time of going just to watch and support, we thought it would be a fun idea to make our own performance as is only in front of a few people that we know anyway. My friends had more musical talent than me and knew how to play instruments so I got forced to having to sing which was the most nerve wracking part for me, but I didn’t feel intimidated as I knew everyone would be supportive and that it was all just for fun so I went for it. I realised it was actually really enjoyable and people told me afterwards that my voice was good and that I didn’t seem scared at all! I think that was when I realised I wanted to peruse a career in music just because of the feeling I got on stage that was powerful and took away any nerve or anxiety I had. 
How has music influenced you? 
I never really learnt an instrument, like I’d play around with them if they were there like a piano or guitar laying around, even try and make a beat with drums if I could get my hands on some drumsticks. So I’d say listening to music I like opened doors to help me find my passion for it and gave me enthusiasm to try and produce something to try and inspire other people the same way I was. I grew up listening to so many bands, the main ones would be Biffy Clyro, The Neighbourhood, The Arctic Monkeys, Green Day, Nirvana… Every band or artist I’ve interacted has had some sort of influence even if I don’t realise it. I think they taught me to just do what I love without worrying about it or thinking too much about consequences because they’ll hold you back and never lead you anywhere.  
How are you enjoying your new found fame? Was it difficult getting used to or did you feel you fit in straightaway? 
It was daunting I must admit, but it’s just so exciting everyday not knowing what could come. It was difficult to adjust as I has just l left school so it took time to get used to life in the music industry I’ll always have uncertainties about whether I should have taken the uni option, but everyone is just so nice and understanding. They let me go at own pace and ask me about everything that I could do or want to do before doing it and make sure I’m completely comfortable. It’s so brilliant to have an impact with what I do and I just want to show people that they shouldn’t think there are restrictions to life because there really aren’t, and if I made it, then anyone can. 
Have you got any plans for the future?
I should be touring with Halsey this year which is really exciting as I’ll get to perform alongside one of my idols and be a part of her success. It’ll be nice to really see what it’s like to perform in front of a bigger crowd, rather than a group of people I know in a church hall. Other than that I’m hoping to release a new album soon of which I hope to receive positive feedback, so hopefully you’ll be seeing more of me this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Improvements to my Final Product

After receiving some feedback on my final products, I decided to make some last minute changes to improve the final outcome. Here...